11/4/08

A Few Words from Patick Bateman

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. Kind of like this voting thing, I mean what's that all about? I'm supposed to chose between that old guy, or the young handsome guy in the nice suit ... it's a no brainer ... but back to Genesis: It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums... Just like voting! I mean really! Stand in that booth and cast your ballot, and you'll understand ... but back to Duke; Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Uh, take your clothes off and lay on that bed... In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Speaking of professionalism, let's face facts, it's been a long time since any of that has been on display at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave; Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority... OK, that's all I've got to say for now, so if you're not going to vote, just stay there on the bed and keep your eyes closed, I'll be back in a minute.

No comments: